Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Reason why the Altair and Americus sank

I found this site it explains everything about the sinking of the two boats here.The Altair and Americus were repainted before going out to sea and the workers measured wrong and they painted the bottom paint upper than they shoudl had so when the crew loaded pots they loaded the boats to their capacity after the higher bottom paint line(then the bottom paint isn't visible) so they overloaded the boats and they capsized.the Sea Star was one of the boats searching for these two lost ones,as I know it was some relative of larry's who owned these boats,a guy named Jeff Hendricks.There were 4 boats going out to sea and 2 came back.They were all sister ships and as I ehard the F/V Morning Star was one of those four so the boats probably would have looked like this:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting, Balu. How scary that a mistake in a paint job could lead to that. . . .

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That is incredible. Utterly incredible. Thanks for sharing.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Very interesting Balu--I never would have even thought of a scenario like that.
    ~Katie~
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

GB Crab Guest
    Very interesting. I would like to add this, had these boats been marked with "load lines", which are what shipping vessels are marked with, this situation could have possibly been avoided.

Load lines, which are certified by the American Bureau of Shipping as I understand them, are also known as a "plimsoll mark" in international shipping. There are different load lines for salt water and freshwater, great lakes and international. Load lines also have specific marks for cold and warm water as a ships bouyancy changes according to water temp and salt or freshwater. Load lines are painted at the midpoints on both sides of a vessel.

Load lines are very different from "draft marks", the numbers on the bow or stern of a vessel which are mainly used to indicate the depth of a boats keel below the water line.

Due to the heavy loads that crab boats carry should they be required by Alaskan Fish and Game to carry load lines? Are they already required to be assigned these lines?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Check the Morning Star pictures.Above the blue bottom paint it has a painted yellow stripe I guess that is the load line.When it reaches the water then the boat reached it's maximum capacity it can safely carry.As you can also see there are many types of stern,like the Northwestern's...It isn't straight,it is bent upwards a bit I guess that is a way to make a boat carry more weight safely.What the northwestern has as I know is called whaleback stern,but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Yep thats right Balu!

Thanks
    Wow, very interesting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hey, Balu, that some good information and to think that one of the greatest at sea sinking was caused because of a smiple mistake like that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    that is so awful, but i couldn't help laughing at the student hypothesis of what really happened

' The owners of the ill-fated boats overloaded the boats trying to collect on their insurance
    resources, to pay off the Mafia'

uhuh, yeah. lol

Matt Bradley's #1 fan =)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast