Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

List of the major Berring Sea Accidents

Here is a list of the Major accidents in the Bering Sea:

Jan. 15, 2005: The Kodiak-based crab boat Big Valley sinks 70 miles west the Pribilof Islands on the opening day of opilio crab season. Three of the crewmen were never found. Investigators say the boat was carrying too much weight.

Jan. 8, 2004: The 738-foot freighter Selendang Ayu headed to China loaded with soybeans runs aground just off Unalaska. Six members of the crew die when a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crashes during a rescue attempt.

Oct. 20, 2002: Three of 26 crewmen die when the fishing boat Galaxy burns and sinks 20 miles southwest of St. Paul Island. A crewman on a rescue vessel also died when swept overboard in the rough seas.

April 1, 2001: In the worst commercial fishing accident in 50 years, 15 hands are lost when the Arctic Rose, a 92-foot, Seattle-based fishing trawler, sinks. Only the body of the captain, David Rundall, was found. After a lengthy investigation, investigators conclude that the exact cause of the sinking would never be known.

March 18, 1999: Five fishermen die when the 96-foot Lin-J rolls while fishing for crab 8 miles northwest of St. Paul Island. The accidents spur a campaign of dockside vessel safety inspections and training.

Feb. 11, 1998: All 33 people aboard the Seattle-based fish processing vessel Alaska I are rescued after it collides with a containership and sinks.

Jan. 27, 1996: The 127-foot crab boat Pacesetter, based in Seattle, disappears in high seas and heavy winds with a crew of seven between the Pribilof Islands and the Aleutian chain.

Jan. 15, 1995: All six members of the crew are lost when the Seattle-based crabber Northwest Mariner rolls in heavy seas on the first day of the opilio tanner crab fishery.

March 1990: The 162-foot factor trawler Aleutian Enterprise sinks taking nine lives. Twenty-two others are rescued by other fishing boats. The Coast Guard blames the fishing boat company for cutting costs at the expense of safety.

Feb. 14, 1983: The sister vessels Altair and Americus, based in Anacortes mysteriously capsize and sink near Dutch Harbor. A total of 14 crew members, almost all from Anacortes, are lost.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am very happy to see that there are none listed for this year (knock on wood).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Don't know how old the list is but there is no mention of the Ocean Challenger which was covered in the first and second episode of DC last season....and I would guess it would be too early to have the Alaska Ranger listed..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErieLady View Post
    I am very happy to see that there are none listed for this year (knock on wood).
    We can only hope, and you ErieLady, here is something you can read more about the story of the Altair and Americus in the book "Lost at Sea".

Don't know how old the list is but there is no mention of the Ocean Challenger which was covered in the first and second episode of DC last season....and I would guess it would be too early to have the Alaska Ranger listed..
    That true, I think it would better went the investagation is over with, to see if they will ever fine the reason why she sunk.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    The Ocean Challenger sank south of the Islands, meaning it sank in the Pacific, not the Bering Sea. There is a fine line, but the Coast Guard is very specific with that line.

Thanks
    Isn't this list from the the recent Seattle PI article regarding the sinking of the Alaska Ranger?

Fishing boat's lost crewmen acted, as expected, like heroes

Just asking because I thought I'd seen it just the other day.

Ann

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Lunar thank you for the list even if from the news article. Much easier to refer to here. Thank you again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnG View Post
    Isn't this list from the the recent Seattle PI article regarding the sinking of the Alaska Ranger?

Fishing boat's lost crewmen acted, as expected, like heroes

Just asking because I thought I'd seen it just the other day.

Ann

Thanks for answering my question, Ann.....

Thanks
    Thanks Ann, Its nice to see the whole article. There have been others that aren't included, I wonder if they just didn't consider them major or what. The Ocean Challenger, not being on the list - to me that was major but maybe they just didn't have an up to the moment tally.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErieLady View Post
    The Ocean Challenger sank south of the Islands, meaning it sank in the Pacific, not the Bering Sea. There is a fine line, but the Coast Guard is very specific with that line.
    I believe this answers the Ocean Challenger question as regards the Coast Guards List. Altho sunk it was not in the official Bering Sea but the Pacific.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast