Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

River Monsters (Animal Planet)

I don't know if anyone has watched a show on Animal Plant called River Monster. "In River Monsters, extreme angler Jeremy Wade uncovers the world's largest, strangest and most dangerous fish."

EPISODE (S2): KILLER SNAKEHEAD

"Angler Jeremy Wade sets his sights on an aggressive Far Eastern predator that's now invading America's backyards. Accused of homicide, and said to breathe air and crawl on land, the snakehead is a monster that sounds more like a gangster than a fish." For more information about the series and this episode: River Monsters with Jeremy Wade

Photos of Northern Snakeheads:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/ans/identify...tsnakehead.jpg
    Source is: WA Dept. of Fish & Wildlife with
    Photo used from http://snakehead_fish.tripod.com/

http://www.rivervalleynwc.com/pictur...keheadfish.jpg
    Source is: River Valley Nuisance Wildlife Control
    Photographer not listed

Native to Asia, Russia and Korea, this fish is popular in the Asian food market and most introductions were likely released for this purpose. This was the case in the founding individuals of the Crofton pond population in Maryland. It's rather unfortunate that individuals would release fish or animals with such disregard. In Chinese medicine the fish is used to make a soup for those who have recently undergone surgery (speeds up healing).

There are several species of this fish and from what I gather, the Northern Snakehead is of particular concern due to it's ability to live outside of water for a few days. In muddy or swampy type situations, they can use their front fins to propel themselves along, much like a snake. This particular species can grow to approximately 33 inches.

What's interesting is that they have turned up in various non-contiguous states across the country. So far Alaska has yet to be affected. I cannot begin to imagine the devastation this fish could cause in the western rivers. (i.e. salmon population). It rains in Puget Sound quite a bit from fall until spring, making for muddy conditions.

Map of US where Northern Snakehead have been found:
    http://nas2.er.usgs.gov/output/NAS_S...4692067354.png
    Source: USGS - Northern Snakehead

I'm from New Jersey and I recently read the snakeheads have made their way into the Delaware River. They've been using rotenone in creeks, ditches and backwater. I think this kills all fish. According to the USGS, "the species is well established in the Potomac River". Perhaps Kat would be able to comment on this.

If you like fishing, I think you'll enjoy it! Catch it on Animal Planet, Sunday nights at 10PM e/p.
    Last edited by MelG; 05-13-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: removed photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Re: River Monsters (Animal Planet)

Not much I know other than they are a pest

Washington post article from 2006

State of Virginia page on the snakehead
    [CENTER][B]"But there is one hope, and as usual, it's Norwegian!"[/B]

[/CENTER]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Concertkat View Post
    Not much I know other than they are a pest

Washington post article from 2006

State of Virginia page on the snakehead
    I remember we talked about this a few years ago. I was shocked to see how far they've spread since then. As far as them appearing in non-contiguous states, only means individuals are continuing to release them. Maybe in hopes of harvesting them later to sell? It's illegal to sell live snakeheads, but it's ok to sell them on ice or frozen.

They're actually rather nasty. My father-in-law was telling us about his experience catching one. The fish continually tried to bite his boot, his leg. It was exteremely aggressive....well until the fish was knocked out. They're supposed to be good eating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I've seen this show before. It's pretty interesting, I like it.
    Live your life like it's the last day, 'cause tomorrow just may be

CRABBY BE ON THE BEACH DRINKING A CORONA :D
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michgirl View Post
    I've seen this show before. It's pretty interesting, I like it.
    Me too the show is pretty interesting I like learning about the different species
    ~ YOU KNOW IT IS GONNA BE A BAD DAY WHEN YOUR BIRTHDAY CAKE COLLAPSES FROM THE WEIGHT OF THE CANDLES ~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

My husband and I were cracking up watching the snakehead eppy. The fish makes these chomping noises when it opens and closes it's mouth.

I wouldn't mind going fishing with this guy. Although I probably don't have near enough strength to bring a monster fish in. Have you seen the teeth on some of those fish? All in all, that man is pretty brave in my book. Especially when he ventured into the Congo. He stayed in a small village where the chief's brother had not returned from a fishing trip. The people are extremely superstitious and felt that Jeremy's arrival had something to do with the man missing. The next morning he was informed that his life had been in grave danger, as some of the villagers wanted to stone him to death. Lucky for him, the chief's brother came back. Plus the last time he visited that area, he contracted malaria.

So far, the only eppy I couldn't watch was the one about stingrays. I loved Stevo and as you probably know Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MelG View Post
    My husband and I were cracking up watching the snakehead eppy. The fish makes these chomping noises when it opens and closes it's mouth.

I wouldn't mind going fishing with this guy. Although I probably don't have near enough strength to bring a monster fish in. Have you seen the teeth on some of those fish? All in all, that man is pretty brave in my book. Especially when he ventured into the Congo. He stayed in a small village where the chief's brother had not returned from a fishing trip. The people are extremely superstitious and felt that Jeremy's arrival had something to do with the man missing. The next morning he was informed that his life had been in grave danger, as some of the villagers wanted to stone him to death. Lucky for him, the chief's brother came back. Plus the last time he visited that area, he contracted malaria.

So far, the only eppy I couldn't watch was the one about stingrays. I loved Stevo and as you probably know Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.
    Steve Irwin was one of my favorites too! I still remember what I was doing when I had heard he died. I was so heartbroken. I have a hard time watching anything with Steve in it, but I do like watching information about stingrays just to understand more about them.
    Live your life like it's the last day, 'cause tomorrow just may be

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Sorry.

I have a fear of swimming in both salt and fresh water due to fear of being eaten by sharks and other water predators. This show has freaked me out enough, that it has definitely increased my fear of even fresh water rivers and lakes. I can't even watch commercials. it freaks me out.

I was at a funeral when I found out Steve Irwin passed.
    Last edited by dragonrider; 05-14-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: offtopic comment. added something on topic.
    welcome to hell!! cookies to the left, coffee and tea to the right. pick up your pitchforks when you sign in. tails and horns grow in, don't play with them or you might go blind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Please keep it to the topic.
    Lisa Bech-Lott, Moderator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I would LOVE to find a Youtube clip of the Snakeheads making this chomping sound with their mouth. It's rather creepy lol. After watching this eppy, as soon as I would start to drift off to sleep, I'd hear a loud CHOMP (scared me to death every time). My dearest husband thought it was funny. Perhaps Jeremy Wade is on FB. It would be awesome if he may possibly grant permission to post some of his outrageous photos. I'm sure he's proud of them. :-)

I haven't checked out the schedule for this Sunday, as I like to be surprised lol. Apparently the show has done well because it's in the second season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast