Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Biggest fishing boat in the world...

I know you guys like your big boats so here's one that was built in 1999 in Norway for legendary Southern Irish skipper Kevin McHugh from Killybegs Co Donegal ( sadly passed away a couple of years ago far too young by far).

Built as the Atlantic Dawn SO914 to fish anywhere in the world he could get quota for she was sold last year to a Dutch trawler firm and is now called the Annelies Ilena KW.174 and registered in Ijmuiden. She is a mid-water trawler but is rigged ( but as far as I know never used ) for purse seining Norweigan style.

144.6m/474ft 5'' Overall Length x 24.3m/79ft 9'' Beam x 11.4m/37ft 5'' Draft , 14055 tonnes / 15493 US tons , 2 main engines with steerable kort nozzles of 14400kw/19330hp ( 9665hp each ) and more generators to a total of 6720kw/9020hp for a total shipboard combined HP of 28350hp ( burning heavy fuel oil at a rate of around 80-100t per day ). She can carry about 8,000t of processed frozen fish ( either filleted and block frozen in 25kg/4st blocks or headed and gutted and frozen into 25kg/4st blocks ) giving her an all up gross weight full at 22055 tonnes / 24311 US Tons

Photograph on the Trawlerphotos site from member WILLEM048 and linked here using img tags

For comparison the Arleigh Burke class of Destroyer in the US Navy is 509 feet (155.29 meters) just over 33ft longer but at 9,496 L tons (9,648.40 metric tons) full load less than half of the tonnage

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There is a documentary about a large catcher processor fishing in the Bering Sea. I believe it was an American Seafoods boat. The technology, equipment and systems of these boats are unbelievable, as is all of the hard work that goes on. Thanks for the pictures and information.
    So don't let me die still wondering what it was I left behind. I want a race well run, far ahead of the gun, and a dance before the far finish line. - Flogging Molly, Don't Let Me Die Still Wondering.

Thanks
    beautiful vessel!!

DOnna

CRABBY BE ON THE BEACH DRINKING A CORONA :D
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    :hello2::hello2: Awesome Davie Tait thanks for sharing, Kudos, Kudos.
    ~ YOU KNOW IT IS GONNA BE A BAD DAY WHEN YOUR BIRTHDAY CAKE COLLAPSES FROM THE WEIGHT OF THE CANDLES ~

Thanks

Atlantic Dawn

I,ll go with that . I was on Killybegs pier the day she arrived. She dwarfed the town. The late Kevin ( R.I.P.)also had the VERONICA another big vessel. John
    Attached is a drawing by me that was commissioned by a ex crewmember.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Baird; 10-23-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Beautiful boat-thanks for sharing.
    Shut Up and Fish!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Wow, that boat is immense! Any idea how many crew members it would take to run her during a fishing trip?

Kathy

Thanks
    Not as much as you would think. The fish is pumped aboard into seawater tanks then pumped up into the grader ( large automated system which grades the fish by weight ). From there you need crew to check the fish going to the filleting machines and from there the fish are taken by conveyor belt to the plate freezers. Very little hands on work compared to the amount of fish caught.

I would think a crew size of 35-40 would be around the max. That would give you 3 8 hour shifts of processing deck crew and a couple of shifts of trawl deck crew ( don't know if the guys that work the net work on the processing deck , some boats might some don't ) your engineers , wheelhouse skipper , mate and winch-men ( winches all controlled from the wheelhouse/bridge ) and a couple of cooks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    She is a beauty! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Christine

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    what a beautiful vessel! i'd like to see the northwestern next to this one, that'd be quite a comparison. thanks for posting =)
    i Edgar & Sig!!!
    "You mess with me, you messed with the wrong guy." - Edgar
    "Shut up and fish!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast