Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Salmon Tendering

My cousin Katie and I had a question about salmon tendering...how are the salmon caught? I thought they used a pot similar to the ones used for cod, but I wasn't positive.

Another question I just thought of is what is used for salmon bait?
    "Yellowstone is my happy place." ~bumpersticker on my car trunk
    "Well, everyday I make mistakes. They may be small, but they're mine to make." 'A Waste' by Benjamin Allen Band

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
    My cousin Katie and I had a question about salmon tendering...how are the salmon caught? I thought they used a pot similar to the ones used for cod, but I wasn't positive.

Another question I just thought of is what is used for salmon bait?
    I can't answer your first question, but with the second one, they don't use bait for salmon fishing, they use a thing call a gill net that will literally caught a salmon by their gills.
    Numbers are very important to me. My life consists of numbers. If I don't get em, I get really fricken mad. -Sig Hansen, Season 4 Episode "A Number's Game".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Thanks Lunar. That's pretty interesting.
    "Well, everyday I make mistakes. They may be small, but they're mine to make." 'A Waste' by Benjamin Allen Band

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    here's a basic video i found that shows little bits of the process [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv_R-8atodU]YouTube - How to Catch a King Salmon[/ame]
    [CENTER][B]"But there is one hope, and as usual, it's Norwegian!"[/B]

[/CENTER]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Thanks Concertkat. The salmon the fisherman pulled out of the hold was a good looking one. Haha.

CRABBY BE ON THE BEACH DRINKING A CORONA :D
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    :icon_cheers::icon_cheers: Interesting video ConcertKat thanks for sharing, Kudos, Kudos.
    ~ YOU KNOW IT IS GONNA BE A BAD DAY WHEN YOUR BIRTHDAY CAKE COLLAPSES FROM THE WEIGHT OF THE CANDLES ~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Salmon tendering and fishing for salmon are 2 different things.

When the NW does tendering, they go out and the salmon boats bring their catch to them where it's transferred to the NW. Lots of the crab boats do this because they have the large holds to put the fish in. Then they take the fish they get from the salmon fishermen and bring it to the processors. That saves the salmon boats from having to make so many trips to the processor. So the NW isn't salmon fishing; they are tendering or what Sig call being a fish taxi.

Ann

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that, Ann.

So, when the NW meets the salmon boats, do they typically take on fish from one boat, run it over to the processor and go back out, or do they take on salmon from a couple different boats? I know she has three holds so that's why I ask.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm just curious. I know I could find the answers on the internet, but I feel confident in the accuracy of the information I get from y'all here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that, Ann.

So, when the NW meets the salmon boats, do they typically take on fish from one boat, run it over to the processor and go back out, or do they take on salmon from a couple different boats? I know she has three holds so that's why I ask.

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm just curious. I know I could find the answers on the internet, but I feel confident in the accuracy of the information I get from y'all here.
    They take salmon from several boats before they go in. How much they haul in at a time I'm not sure but yes, they can collect a lot at a time before they go in to off load.

Here's a pic that used to be in a photo album on this site. It's not the NW but it shows what it's like when the salmon boats line up to off load their catch to one of the crab boats. This pic always reminds me of a mother duck and her ducklings. :)

Ann
    Last edited by AnnG; 06-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    OK, here are a couple more tendering pics that I save a while ago from the old photo album.

They have a pump on the NW that sucks the salmon off the boats into the holds of the NW ...

and then when they get to the processor, they have a pump that sucks the fish out of the hold on the NW and onto the processor.

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast